Sunday, July 18, 2010

Wheatberries are a real thing


I got this recipe off of a blog I enjoy called www.bodiesinmotivation.com . I decided to try it because I love me some whole grains, and I had everything else at my house already. The star of the show are wheatberries. I am guessing it is the part of the wheat that goes to seed, but really I have no idea. Dried, they look like Israeli couscous or big buckwheat. Cooked, they soften up, but still have the texture of slightly undercooked rice. But they taste like cheerios!
This recipe calls for you to cook the wheatberries, then once they are done, you toss them in a dressing of olive oil, honey, ginger, coriander and lemon juice. Then you toss in a bunch of chives and toasted almonds. You are supposed to also put in cilantro, but I didn't have any. Also I am not a big fan, even though I do like coriander. Odd, I know. The addition I did make was to put feta on top. And man, was this delicious. I ate it again for breakfast the next day. Kind of strange to eat a savory breakfast, but the honey added enough sweetness that I didn't care. I almost would say this meal is better the next day because the flavors have had a better chance to mix.
This one is a total winner and already has a spot in a dinner for the week ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment