Sunday, December 6, 2009

The Salad


Thanksgiving is my favorite meal of the year. It is basically perfect. All of my favorite things, all in one belt-loosening meal. I wanted to cook it this year, last year I even cooked it twice! But, alas, there is a baby in my house this time. And my husband and I can't usually manage to get a regular dinner on the table before 8:00 at night. So we went to my mom's house instead. And I just had to bring two things: mashed potatoes and The Salad. 7 layer salad, to be exact. It is like the equivalent to crack in my family.

I learned how to make it from my mom, but I am not sure where she got it from. I can remember my grandma making it as well, but I think she learned it from my mom too. It wasn't one of those things that was passed down, like say, the family lasagne recipe. It's gotten easier over the years, because you can cheat with things like pre-packaged salad mixes, but overall, its the same old thing.

The 7 layers are: 3 kinds of lettuce, onion, swiss cheese, peas and bacon. The dressing is just mayo (real mayo! I accidentally used miracle whip once and it was a disaster) mixed with a tiny sprinkle of sugar, salt and pepper. You make it in sets of layers in the biggest bowl you can find. And then you let it sit in the fridge for at least a few hours, so everything gets kind of wilty. Writing it down this way makes it seem sort of disgusting, but believe me, my mouth is totally watering just thinking about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment