Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Some new recipes

Last night for dinner I tried out a couple of recipes I found in the isles of Vitamin Cottage. One was for a tuna casserole and the other was for acorn squash, stuffed with rice. We had one winner and one loser.

Loser first: the acorn squash. Now I love me some acorn squash, and I love rice, but this was gross. You roasted the squash halves with honey on them, and on the side, you made rice in chicken broth, and then added lemon zest at the end. The zest tasted pretty bitter, even though I am sure I didn't get pith since I used my trusty microplane grater. Maybe the lemon was just too old? It looked fine, but whatevs. All I know is I won't have this again... however, I may rip off the idea and just figure out a better way to go about it.

And now for the winner! I am not usually a fan of tuna casseroles because hot, canned tuna kind of creeps me out. This was totally good though. You cooked the noodles first, and in a separate pan, sautee green pepper, onions, carrots and peas. Then add cream of mushroom soup, the tuna and the noodles. Mix it all together and put in a casserole dish, and bake it for about a half an hour. Then you mix some breadcrumbs in butter and top the casserole with it, baking for a few more minutes to toast that. The recipe didn't call for it, but my taste buds said salt, so I just sprinkled some on my serving. Although, so did K so I probably should have just added it to the whole dish! It was good, and made a lot. I took some for my lunch today, and still have a bunch left. This is something we will definitely make again.

Ok, Vitamin Cottage- you get a score of 1 each for your recipes this time!

No comments:

Post a Comment