Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Buckwheat

Now don't laugh, but I learned about buckwheat from a Wii game! Ok, you can laugh. Harvest Moon taught me that buckwheat must be good because you can get a lot of money on the game for growing and selling it! So I went and got some from the store. There are all different forms, and things you can do with it. The kind I have experimented with most is just regular cracked buckwheat. I make "oatmeal" (buckmeal? that doesn't sound very good) with it. With cinnamon and cloves and nutmeg, and sometimes apples, it is warm and nutty and tasty. The baby likes it too. If you take the dried form and mix a raw egg in, and cook it in a pan until it is dry before you boil it, it keeps the grains more separated and gives them more of a texture. Or you can skip straight to the boiling, which makes the grain more mushy. That is my preference for buckmeal.

No comments:

Post a Comment