Saturday, November 21, 2009

Calzones

Usually friday night is pizza night. But we were looking for something (slightly) different so we decided to give calzones a try. I made the same dough that I always make, but everything else was (slightly) different. After some quick internet searching, we determined that calzones should be cooked at a lower temperature for a longer time than pizza. And we found some hints. For instance, most recipes didn't call for the sauce to be on the inside, and that you should brush the top with olive oil and stab it with a fork .

Tricks in hand, and baby asleep, we got going. I decided to pre-cook onions, mushrooms, garlic and Italian seasoning in olive oil for just a couple of minutes. Then I rolled out my dough, put the cooked mixture, pepperoni, parmesan, feta and mozzarella over half, and folded it up. I decided to use the extra oil from cooking the vegges for the top of the calzone, to add more flavor.

K popped it in the oven, and (slightly) less than 30 minutes later, dinner! For dipping, I just cooked a can of tomato sauce with extra garlic and Italian seasoning until it was warm.

The result was better than we ever imagined! I thought we made pretty mean pizza, but these calzones would kick our pizza's ass!

No comments:

Post a Comment