Sunday, September 27, 2009

Makin' baby food

My baby is nearing 6 months, and is just starting his adventure in the kitchen. I have decided to make his baby food myself, because not only do I think it's fun, but it is WAY less expensive, and then I know exactly what he is eating. We haven't gotten him started on too many things yet, so far just rice cereal, bananas and sweet potatoes. The sweet potatoes are his favorite.

To start, I dice up a bunch of sweet potatoes

Then, I boil them till they are soft. I know you are not supposed to do that because the nutrients are boiled out, but I have a way to combat this that I will get to in a second. Next, I grind them all up using a food mill


Next, to thin it to the right consistency, I add the cooking water back in until it looks right. This is how I get the nutrients back into the food. To store, I freeze it in ice cube trays.

I read somewhere that each cube is about 1 oz of food. I don't know how accurate that is, but it works for me! Once the cubes are solid, I just pop 'em out and keep in a freezer bag. I take a few cubes out each night to thaw in the fridge for lunch.


No comments:

Post a Comment